Tuesday 2nd December 2014

  • 2

    Wingate & Finchley

    Knight 10 65

  • 2

    Cray Wanderers

    Stone 25, Hamici 33

London Senior Cup

A youthful Wingate & Finchley side were taken to a penalty shoot-out to see off Cray Wanderers. Daniel Nielsen made five changes to the side that drew to Hampton & Richmond Borough on Saturday and despite their good start, it took 10 minutes to open the scoring. Half-chances were created until Tommy Tejan-Sie's long ball to David Knight split open the Cray defence and the in-form striker finished well across goal.

Under 21 goalkeeper Jack Metcalfe was forced into making saves from Cray's Michael Phillips on two occasions before Daniel Udoh had the chance to double the hosts' lead; but his shot on the turn whisked past the post. Udoh once again came close when clever play between Joe Sharpe and Knight led to the young striker firing over from the edge of the box.

The visiting side from the Ryman North Division thought they had levelled when Adrian Stone's header at the back post found its way in, but he was judged to have been in an offside position. However, the visitors did equalise on 25 minutes. A short corner was crossed to the back post - where an onside Stone headed home. Eight minutes later, Cray were ahead when a sharp turn on the edge of the box by Laurent Hamici gave him space to shoot beyond a helpless Metcalfe in the Wingate goal.

The second half began tamely with Hamici getting in behind Kaloczi put scuffing his shot wide and, at the other end, Ola Sogbanmu's deflected shot resulting in a corner. However on 65 minutes, Marc Weatherstone floated a ball from the right flank and Knight was on hand to head home from 12 yards. Seven minutes later, a fantastic one-two between full backs Paul Wright and Weatherstone led to the latter firing wide on the volley from inside the box. The game faded with half chances being put high and wide at both ends and the tie going to a penalty shoot-out. Metcalfe saved one and Cray put two over the bar as Wingate comfortably won 3-1 in the shootout and advance to the Quarter Finals of the London Senior Cup, to be played in January.

Penalty Shoot-Out:
David Knight - saved
Ola Sogbanmu - scores
Jack Read - scores
Harold Joseph - scores

Report by Nikhil Saglani


Wingate & Finchley

  1. Metcalfe
  2. 82

  3. Weatherstone
  4. Wright
  5. 58

  6. Sharpe
  7. Joseph
  8. Kaloczi
  9. Tejan-Sie
  10. Knight
  11. 69

  12. Udoh
  13. Sogbanmu
  14. Goodman



  1. Suddell
  2. 82

  3. Graham
  4. 69

  5. Read
  6. Rifat
  7. Laney


Dele Sotimirin