Saturday 29th November 2014

  • 2

    Wingate & Finchley

    Og 57, Knight 83(pen)

  • 2

    Hampton & Richmond Boro

    Rose 7, Collins 27

Ryman Premier League

Wingate & Finchley clawed back a result from the jaws of defeat as they came back from 2-0 down to gain a point at home to Hampton & Richmond Borough. The game began evenly until a headed clearance from the hosts fell to Jake Rose, whose shot from 30 yards flew past Bobby Smith and gave the visitors the lead on 7 minutes.

The Wingate goalkeeper continued his good run of form despite the goal, rushing off his line to clean up through balls played behind his defence. He prevented Ben Harris from doubling the lead two minutes after the opener and also saved well on 19 minutes after a long range attempt from Nicholas Bignall.

However on 27 minutes, Thomas Collins was played in behind the hosts' defence and finished well across Smith to double the visitors' advantage - a goal duly celebrated by the visiting fans. Hampton had the chance to go three goals ahead - effectively putting the game to bed - but Collins' cross was put just wide by Bignall. The hosts had the chance to pull a goal back but Rob Laney headed Marc Weatherstone's excellent cross over the crossbar.

The home side responded well after the break and Paul Wright's long ball was chested down by Laney, who squared to Ifeanyi Alenn - but his shot sailed high and wide. Twelve minutes into the second half, the home side pulled a goal back when David Knight's free-kick missed everyone in the box and nestled into the bottom corner.

The hosts began to push forward an put Hampton under heavy pressure but could not find the equaliser. Knight was played in on the hour mark but put his chance wide of the far post. The visitors had the chance to make it 3-1 when a curled free-kick was headed wide by Kieran Murphey. They had yet another chance on 78 minutes after a long range effort from goalscorer Rose was saved by a diving Bobby Smith and Collins somehow managed to put his rebound wide from six yards.

The equaliser came in the 84th minute; Ahmet Rifat slipped a through ball between the Hampton centre-backs and Rob Laney rounded the keeper. The on rushing Smith made contact with Laney, who bundled over and a penalty was given - much to the anger of the visiting faithful. Knight tucked the penalty home, sending the keeper the wrong way and the home fans into ecstasy. Knight had the chance to complete the turn around in the 91st minute but sent his free-kick handsomely wide of the post.

A Wingate comeback resulted in both sides sharing the spoils in a game of two halves.

Report by Nikhil Saglani


Wingate & Finchley

  1. Smith
  2. Weatherstone
  3. Wright
  4. Kaloczi
  5. 65

  6. Lake
  7. Rifat
  8. Tejan-Sie
  9. Knight
  10. Laney
  11. Graham
  12. 87

  13. Allen



  1. Goodman
  2. 65

  3. Sogbanmu
  4. Joseph
  5. Nielsen
  6. Udoh


Matt Eva