top of page

Match reports 18th July

THAMESMEAD TOWN 2-0 WINGATE & FINCHLEY Lineup: King, Khalil Zakkour, Watson, Buckley, Weatherstone, Michael Folonsho, Pama, Tejan-Sie, Read, Healey, Sogbanmu. subs: Moses BT, Josh Grantham In the early kickoff in South East London, Wingate and Finchley succumbed to defeat through two sucker-punch goals early in the second half. Wingate had dominated an entertaining but scoreless first half, though both sides were restricted to shots from distance as neither keeper was truly troubled. After the break, Jack Barry turned home a near-post corner before Tyrus Gordon-Young raced onto a clearance from former Blue Farai Hallam to beat Gavin King from the edge of the box. Wingate made a late rally, as Tommy Tejan-Sie sent a ferocious shot which another ex-Blue Andy Walker parried away. Ola Sogbanmu then found the top corner but saw his effort ruled out by the offside flag. LONDON COLNEY 3-3 WINGATE & FINCHLEY 1 Zaci Ouarra 2 Josue Nzau 3 Orlando Joao 4 Joe Sharpe 5 James Regis 6 Coby Rowe 7 Leon Solomon 8 Ollie Jones 9 Rob Laney 10 Martel Powell 11 Karl Oliyide Subs: Mechak Williams Wingate & Finchley snatched a late draw from the jaws of defeat away to London Colney, despite trailing for 73 minutes of the game. The visitors came close after two minutes when Joe Sharpe's free kick flew just wide of the left hand post. However this early momentum didn't pay off as the hosts took the lead on 24 minutes. Spencer Clarke-Mardell took aim from 25 yards and his shot flew straight at Wingate keeper Zaci Ourra, who let the ball slip under his body and was adjudged to have crossed the line by the referee's assistant, to much protest from Ourra - who had had a good game until the error. Karl Oliyide almost levelled the affair on the stroke of half time but his shot was saved well low down by the hosts' keeper. The second half was, for 26 minutes, a much quieter affair and neither side was able to hold on to the ball for long enough to influence the game. On 71 minutes, however, Jimmy Hill capitalised on a mix up between the Wingate centre backs and doubled Colney's lead with a deft chip over Ourra, who had been left stranded by the mix up in defence. Wingate pulled a goal back on 75 minutes with an Oliyide penalty, but the hosts regained their two goal cushion when Hill raced in behind after stealing the ball from Leon Solomon and finished low from just inside the box on 81 minutes. A second defeat on the same day was staring the Blues in the face until Oliyide converted a cut back from the left wing and reduced the deficit to just one. This time, it was Wingate who responded well and, on 87 minutes, Mechak Williams slammed home from inside the box after a corner evaded everyone at the front post. The Blues may consider themselves lucky to come away with a draw but the pre-season fixture was another chance to gain fitness and game time before the Ryman League kicks off on August 8th at home to Brentwood Town.

Recent Posts

See All

End of season awards

Wingate & Finchley held the end of season awards night for 2015/16 on Sunday 24th April.

Daniel Nielsen Steps Down

We would like to announce that Daniel Nielsen has decided to step down from his role as First Team Coach.


bottom of page